What the Edge Requires.
An Edge environment exhibits attributes that differentiates it from other environments such as cloud or on-premise data centers. Products used to enable enterprise Edge computing must ensure that the attributes are met. The following are seven common attributes specific to Enterprise Edge Computing.
Each attribute area contains values that fulfill the attribute. The values are needed to meet the attributes. The following is a list of the Edge common attributes, the values and supporting value details.
- Locations function without local human resources
- IT skills and resources optimized
- IT personnel placed where the business needs them
- Edge locations added without requiring an increase in skills and resources
- Locations monitored and controlled remotely
- Edge managed and monitored using tools that do not require local support
- Edge facilities monitored and managed as an holistic environment
- Change at the Edge managed, monitored and guided remotely
- Edge environment and infrastructure monitored in real-time, no blind spots
- Software applications, databases, networks, infrastructure and environment monitored in-line with Edge service delivery
- Physical access and local activity monitored
- Software, database, hardware and environment monitoring unified to show overall Edge status
- High performing data communication to/from the highly distributed Edge environment
- Edge software, environment and infrastructure performance monitored to support the end-to-end IT service delivery metrics
- Environmental conditions at the Edge aligned with the impact on IT services
- Edge performance evaluated against SLA’s and cross Edge facility comparisons
- Edge equipment fully supported without requiring customization
- Service performance efficiencies delivered through the elimination of custom work
- Personnel performance increased through the elimination of manual activity and the unification of monitored data
- Environment performance delivered by unifying disparate conditions and automatically evaluating the impact on the IT services delivered at the Edge
- High availability, no single point of failure
- Edge environment has high-availability and failover built in to mitigate the risk of failure
- Edge status information delivered even when outages to the infrastructure and environment occur
- Monitoring tools do not stop working when the Edge experiences network or power degradation
- Remote control and monitoring of IT assets and environmental systems
- Infrastructure, software and environmental systems controlled and monitored without requiring local personnel
- Edge infrastructure and environmental systems that do not have remote monitoring capabilities are monitored with solutions that can integrate with them
- Conditions requiring a human presence at the Edge facility are enabled through monitoring and supported with remote guidance
- Environmental conditions monitored with alerts created when exceptions are detected
- Conditions are consolidated to provide an overall environmental Edge state
- Environmental conditions are correlated to provide cause and impact data
- Environmental monitoring is integrated with service management solutions
- Asset movement and access to facility monitored and tracked
- Assets are tracked in in real-time to their physical (actual) location
- Network outages and power disruption should not prevent assets from being tracked
- Environmental conditions are associated with the impacted assets
- Connectivity to and within Edge secured in-line with industry and corporate policy
- Edge environment managed against change management policy and controls
- Physical changes at the Edge accomplished under remote supervision to reduce risk
- Change activity recorded and logged
- Edge management tools provide and enforce access permissions for different roles
- Edge tools must have roles-based access
- Edge monitoring dashboards customized around roles
- Monitoring and reporting data delivered with access controls and granular permissions
- Real-world view of physical access and subsequent activity at all Edge locations
- Controlled and monitored access to Edge locations
- Recorded video of Edge facility activity
- Alerts created when movement is detected
End User / Consumer Focused
- Consumer experience captured and used to measure Edge success
- Constant feedback on application availability, performance and response times
- Issues managed in-line with SLA’s with feedback on responsiveness and impact
- Tools ensure business activity is factored into real-time Edge status monitoring
- Edge managed and supported in-line with the business service levels
- Performance and availability managed in-line with service levels
- Environment and infrastructure relationships mapped to manage environmental impact on business assets
- Support priorities dynamically adjust inline with business activity
- Continual location comparisons enable efficiency and performance change and identify and eliminate issues and weaknesses
- Enterprise Edge performance evaluated to assess high and low performing locations
- Edge infrastructure and environmental system comparisons assessed to identify high and low performing vendor equipment
- Location capacity and consumption monitored to identify areas of improvement and optimization
- Edge managed consistently irrespective of technology type or vendor
- Holistic Enterprise Edge infrastructure and environmental conditions monitored
- Information normalized from multiple sources
- Edge state known with issues addressed using a single source of truth
- Out-of-the-box management support for all Edge systems
- Edge systems managed and monitored without customization
- Out of the box support for all new and updated Edge equipment
- No migration impact when changing Edge systems
- Elimination/abstraction of proprietary hardware monitoring
- Single source of truth across all infrastructure and environmental systems
- Monitoring data normalized and reported
- Elimination of multiple displays and dashboards
- Management scales to hundreds or thousands of different size locations
- Edge environment scale managed without impact or an increase in complexity
- Edge environment scale managed without service degradation
- Maps and dashboards allow scale to be accomplished without impacting visualization and an ease of understanding
- Locations added and removed without impacting business
- Change accomplished without an impact on IT services
- Management abstraction allows freedom of choice for Edge systems
- New Edge systems and locations added with low cost, low impact and no additional skills
- Performance delivered consistently across all locations
- Performance of Edge monitoring unaffected by growth within Edge locations
- Performance of Edge monitoring unaffected by growth of Edge locations
- Monitoring performance not impacted by Edge systems diversity
Edge Computing products are designed to meet the requirements of the Edge with functionality that meets common Edge attributes.
|Common Edge Attributes||Edge Solution Requirement|
|Lights Out |
Locations function without local human resources. Locations monitored and controlled remotely.
Edge environment and infrastructure monitored in real-time, no blind spots.
|Single, trusted view of all remote Edge locations. Edge monitoring delivered even if the network is having issues. Remote control of servers, networks and the physical infrastructure. |
Automation used where possible to remove, local, manual activity.
The ability to provide remote guided maintenance and support to personnel visiting the Edge facility.
Live video of the Edge facility triggered upon activity being detected.
|High Performance |
High performing data communication to/from the highly distributed.
Edge environment fully supported without requiring customization.
High availability, no single point of failure.
|Solution architecture developed to collect, process and log massive amounts of data, at scale, without a performance impact across entire Edge infrastructure. Continuous processing of all asset location data providing immediate awareness and tracking of movement activity. Continuous processing of all key environmental conditions providing immediate awareness of the impact and root-cause of issuesIntegration with service management solutions ensuring support service levels are met.|
|Remote Control |
Remote control and monitoring of IT assets and environmental systems.
Environmental conditions monitored with alerts created when exceptions are detected.
Edge asset movement tracked.
Access to facility monitored and tracked.
|Products monitor infrastructure health, motion detection, asset movement, facility access and environment change.|
Control to all Edge and data center locations
Low/no touch technology delivering a holistic view of the Edge infrastructure environment and computer equipment even when there’s an impact on the remote locations power and network.
Connectivity to and within each Edge location secured in-line with industry and corporate policy.
Role based management tools permissions.
Real-world view of physical access and subsequent activity at all Edge locations.
|A single, trusted source, to monitor access at Edge locations, recording activities and providing video and alerts when racks are opened and/or assets are moved. Scheduled maintenance activity monitored and guided remotely. Real-time monitoring of systems, networks and databases. Holistic view of all security issues and automated checks on other locations to check for similar issues or patterns. |
|End User / Consumer Focused|
Consumer experience captured and used to measure Edge success. Edge managed and supported in-line with the business service levels. Continual location comparisons enable efficiency and performance change and identify and eliminate issues and weaknesses
|Infrastructure and environmental tracked to show variations from normal conditions high-lighting potential business impacting issues. |
Edge locations monitored holistically with data that allow comparisons to be made between poor and well performing locations.
Infrastructure, applications and environmental issue impacts managed in line with business severity. Environmental conditions mapped directly with the business assets effected allowing business impact to be assessed and remediated in-line with SLA’s.
Edge managed consistently irrespective of technology type or vendor.
Out-of-the-box management support for all Edge systems.
Monitoring of all types of software, database
|Provides an abstraction layer, monitoring, collecting and processing environmental power and cooling data, irrespective of what equipment is used. |
Zero-impact, zero-cost monitoring when new environmental equipment is introduced.
Eliminates the silos that are created when monitoring equipment by type or vendor.
All Edge facility assets tracked agnostically, no customization, no network.
Integration with all leading Systems, Network, Service Mgmt. and DCIM products providing a comprehensive view of the Edge ensuring SLA’s are met within each function.
|High Scale |
Management scales to hundreds or thousands of different size locations. Locations added and removed without impacting business.
Performance delivered consistently across all locations.
|Edge environment monitored and viewed holistically and at massive scale without disruption or delay. |
Solution architecture developed to manage highly diverse, highly dispersed, environments.
No single point of failure, high-availability required as part of Edge management tool architecture
The Edge Common Attributes are table-stakes. A product that does not exhibit the Edge Common Attributes is not an Edge product. Part 2 describes the attributes that can differentiate Edge management products.